When it comes to baking, and even cooking for that matter, I tend to live by the motto “MORE BUTTAH!” From putting it in the recipe, to brushing it over the top for that beautiful finish when something delicious comes out of the oven. So, when my sister found out she has an allergy to dairy and nuts, but was craving some chocolate chip cookies, I started my research.
Luckily I didn’t have to go the full vegan or gluten-free route, but I am now curious on how that would turn out! I took my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe, swapped the butter for Vegan butter (I used Earth Balance Vegan Butter Sticks) and the chocolate chips for Vegan Chocolate Chips (you can find these at Whole Foods or Trader Joe’s). I have to be honest, full disclosure… I didn’t think these would come out too good so I made a 2nd batch of cookies (selfishly) using “real” butter! To my surprise, they came out Delicious!!
Dairy-Free, Nut-Free Chocolate Chip Cookies
Prep Time Cook Time Total Time
15 Minutes 11 Minutes 30 Minutes
Yields: 2 Dozen Cookies (1 Tbs size)
- 2-1/4 Cups of All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp of Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp of Salt
- 1 Tsp of Cinnamon
- 1 Cup of Vegan Butter (2 sticks), softened
- ¾ Cup of Granulated Sugar
- ¾ Cup of Light Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp of Vanilla Extract
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Cups of Vegan Chocolate Chips + More for Topping
- Sea Salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F
- Combine the flour, baking soda, salt & cinnamon in a small bowl and stir to combine
- Beat the butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar & vanilla extract in a large bowl with either the paddle attachment on your standing mixer or with a rubber spatula until creamy
- Add the eggs, one at a time, fully incorporating one before adding the next
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture, in roughly 3 batches, until fully incorporated
- Stir in the 2 Cups of chocolate chips (or more depending on your love of chocolate, which in my case requires more!)
- Scoop 1 tablespoon at a time of the mixture into a ball and place on the ungreased baking sheet
- Press 2 or 3 chocolate chips into the top of your cookie and top with a pinch of sea salt if you like your cookie a little salty – and let’s be honest, chocolate & sea salt together, who can say no!?
- Bake for 10 – 12 minutes or until golden brown on the top
- Cool on the baking sheet for around 2 minutes; remove and transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely – If you can wait that long!